Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Developing Story Ideas - Michael Rabiger


I have recently had trouble finalising my script. I feel that the structure is not strong enough, there is not enough dialogue and I have not been analytical enough.
I started to read Developing Story Ideas by Michael Rabiger to help me improve my ideas and script.
I used a story making game called CLOSAT.
C = description of chararcter who could be used in a story.
L = intresting and visual locations.
O = curious or evocative Objects.
S = loaded or revealing Situations.
A = unusual or revealing Act.
T = any Theme that intrigues you or that you see embodied into life.

I was reading the chapter about Artistic Identity and how is it achieved through experience and curiousity to make sense of things. By growing and changing and using my experiences of life to determine the choices and actions i use to contribute to the film.

"Artistic Identity is the source of creativity that you carry within. Shaped by temperment and biographical circumstances, it is the inner force powering your search for answers to the 'unfinised business' in your life."

I've been reading an intresting section on displacement. By alter certain characters and places to protect sources and not being type casted by the readers. I think tht this helps me write a fiction script but uses ideas from my experience. It becomes more personal than just writing a script which i have no attachment or feelings to.

"Displacing your underlying concerns into other areas of life lets you avoid the quicksand of autobiograpy. Using fresh characters and fresh circumstances lets you explore truths and your relationship betwwen them."

My research in the last project led me to use crime culture as the theme to use in the 6min film. There is alot of news acticles about gun and knife crimes in nottingham so i read chapter 16 Ten minutes News Inspired Story. My main concern was how to say alot in a little time. So i used a dramatic arc, start with the apex;
-What can you put at it's apex? (This is the dramatic focus of your piece)
-How little of the rising action (setup) do you need to get us there?
-How much or little of the falling action after the apex must you show if you are to plant the idea of change and resolution?

"The famous war photographer Robert Capa (1913-1954) is renowned photograph (above)from the spanish civil war that shows just how how much be impied in a single moment. We see meagerly equipped peasent soldier with his brains flying from his cranium at the instant of his death. Before this moment he began charging down the stubbly slope toward the enemy. After this moment he will collaspe and become another corpse on a rural battlefield. This hundredth-of-a-second moment forcefully captures a single, tragic truth about warfare: In one irreversable moment, someone beloved by family and friends forfeits his life to a belief. Differcult and even terrible issues about the human thirst for conflict flows from this."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home